Friends of the Library
Who the Friends Are
The membership encourages the use of the library as a center for the educational and cultural life of the community by emphasizing the following goals:
- To foster closer relations between the library and the citizens of La Crosse by focusing public attention on library services, facilities, resources, and needs.
- To assist in making funds available for special needs beyond the library budget. To influence the gifts of books and other materials, desirable collections, endowments and bequests to the library through ways approved by the La Crosse Library Board of Trustees.
- To encourage participation of volunteers in all the activities that meets the needs of the library.
Board of Directors
|Leslie Clatworthy, President|
|Mary Jo Boland -Treasurer|
Activities of the Friends
The Friends’ board meets ten times a year to maintain and execute the established goals, providing for the needs of the La Crosse Public Library in the future.
Activities of the Friends include:
- Book sales for the membership and the community in the Spring and Fall. Extra one-day book sales are scheduled as needed. See below for specific dates. These dates are also announced in the Friends' Newsletter.
- The Bookshop, founded in 1996, located at the south entrance of the Main Library, which provides for the ongoing sale of quality donated materials. Phone number is 608/789-7149. (Use this number for any Friends' business.)
- Funding for non-budgeted library needs such as equipment, special materials, book discussion groups, library programs,Youth Services programs, and staff development.
- Hospitality needs for Friends’ meetings, library functions, and library staff events.
- Publication of the Friends’ Newsletter. The newsletter is a benefit of membership
- Assistance in maintaining reading materials for various care centers,shelters, free food centers, jail programs, etc.
Friends Bookstore and Book Sales
Assists in the sales which are held semi-annually the first weekend in May and the first weekend in November. Special one-day book sales are held periodically. All sale dates are listed in the Friends’ Newsletter. Volunteers are always welcome. Stop in the Bookshop or call 608/789-7149 for more information.
Book sales 2014: Sat., Feb. 22, 9-1; Rest of dates to be announced. Bookshop prices are 1/2 on booksale dates.
Monday 4-8 pm
Tuesday 11-3 pm
Wednesday 11-3 pm
Thursday 11-5 pm
Friday 1-5 pm
Saturday 11-5 pm
Sunday 1-5 pm